I have a new best friend! I mean, I got a new bag! I love it! I think it's chic, cheeky, and earthy. Just like me! Ha! It's also as close as I care to get to a Birkin bag. I got it from Sell Your Sole consignment shop yesterday while running an errand. I saw their sandwich board and followed the signs because I'd read about it recently and I now feel about consignment stores the way I used to feel about candy stores. Ok, fine, I still love candy stores. Anyway... the owner and associate were very nice, very approachable, and seemed like the kind of people you want to be friends with. The shop is full of goodies including gorgeous shoes, unique jewelry, and pretty clothes, of course. I told them about this blog and Natalia (I think that's the owner's name) asked me how I felt about my clothes since I made the decision to shop second hand/ ethical almost a year ago. What a great question!! How DO I feel about my decision?
- I just love it when I get compliments on my thrift store goodies.
- I love the items I've gotten from small boutiques and consignment shops because I like knowing that my purchases benefit the smart, like-minded merchants in my community.
- I am especially loving the permission I've given myself to alter my clothes. I'm working on a dress tonight that I've never worn and I'm so excited to be able to get use out of it!
- Since I've been paying more attention to fabrics, I'm really appreciating the qualities of cotton, wool, silk, and cashmere.
- I've really been feeling good about the new clothes I've picked up recently that were made in the USA!
Anyway, this outfit is experimental. I'm not really into the shoulder cutout trend, but I bought this top from the South Lake Union Goodwill two weeks ago because it had a high-low hem, it's floaty, and it's floral. I thought it was worth $2.50. My report? Well, I'm glad I took a little sartorial risk, but when the tempereatures cooled in the evening, my shoulders got goose bumps! The cutout also perfectly frames a scar I have on my arm, but I'm so over trying to hide my many scars and spots.
Are there any scars or spots you try to hide?
- weather: cloudy and comfortable
- top, thrifted, cost $2.50 divided by 2 uses (today and last night) = $1.25 approximate current cost per wear (accpw)
- jeans, thrifted, accpw less than $1
- oxfords, thrifted, accpw $1.67
- belt, thrifted at Frenzi, accpw less than $1
- bag, consigned at Sell Your Sole, accpw $40
- ethical ensemble evaluation: A